Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Backburner

There was this AH HA moment years ago when Kayla got what back burner literally means. We might have been in the kitchen and I asked her to move a pot to the back burner. I don't really remember the occasion but I do remember that she broke into near hysterical tears of laughter at the moment it all gelled in her mind. You've been there... it was one of those moments when you just stand back and watch someone laughing hysterically until you can't stand it anymore, you too double over, snort, want to pee in your pants and can't stop laughing! OooooooH--- BACK BURNER! We've had those kinds of moments ever since with other great words like snowball (ie. snowball effect).

Mema always said that in this world if we have nothing else we always have each other. She made sure that we knew that. We heard her say it a million times when we were fighting children and one of us (usually Kayla) had accidentally just run into the wall, again. LOL

We were always thankful to have each other at dreaded family reunions, in moments of despair and of course just plain ole playing together. If it hadn't been for Kayla dad would have made up a whole host of imaginary friends for me to play with. I much prefer the real Kayla to the imaginary Heckle and Jeckle that dad insisted I recognize. Oh wait I see a perfect opportunity for a red neck joke! You know you're a red neck when your dad is too cheap to let you invite real friends out to lunch at Pipe Organ Pizza and you have to settle for the imaginary friends he's made up for ya. tee hee (love you dad!)

So what's the point of all this... I've just read Kayla's entry on sisters and wanted to respond in kind.

Kayla,

You've always been there for me when I needed you most. I am thankful for your presence in my life and the way that you just get me too. When I was thinking about what picture to use for this posting I thought this one the best. It was a big day. I graduated from ice chips to chicken broth. It was my only happiness in a heavy cloud of pain and the dreaded chin stitch.

The other day I was wearing a dress and this women kept staring at me. I thought she was checking out my boobs and I could not figure out why she would stare so much. Later I realized she was looking at my scar and not my great boobies. I had to laugh at myself. If she only knew how I've earned those scars. How you and mom tirelessly propped pillows and flinched every time I did. If she only knew.
I used to think that all sisters were this way. Now as I am nearing 30 (JAN 24 folks, mark your calendars, I am so excited) I realize that all sisters are NOT like we are. Most people have to make a friend the sister they never had and always wanted. Most people can't decipher a mood in a look or tone of voice. We've never been most people.

Here's to us! Here's to being creatives-- (near) ; ) perfect little products of mom and dad. The balance of writing, creating beautiful things that make me smile, of loving like mom and laughing like dad. Here's to sisters! Here's to you, Kayla Marie. I love you.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Here's to you and Kayla! And sisters you shall always remain!! Loving, laughing, and annoying one another.

Here's to my sisters! Your mom has always been more than a sister to me. She gets me too and accepts me just the way I am.

Love you!

Freckled Nest said...

so precious!!

Tammie said...

I told you, when someone acts weird about your scar, smile at them sweetly and tell them you got it in a street fight!

Marizee said...

Sis, I love your sweet blog, and I laughed out loud when I saw the title before I had even read it. I think we should start a dictionary of Burns Girl -Isms... Like backburner and snowball and flugerbinder and so on...

We're funny dammit! I keep telling Brian this.