Thursday, July 30, 2009

'we' talkers

When is it ok to use WE and when should you use I?
This post is coming out of a raised awareness lately about how people use their words.
____________________________________________________________
They say:
We need to scrape the gum and boogers off the bottom of the table.

It means:
Yeah, you go scrape that crap off.

Internal mumbling:
Why don't you just ask me with a please?
____________________________________________________________
They say:
I recently opened a business.

It means:
Please give me all the credit and a billboard if possible about how wonderful I am.

Internal mumbling:
I am pretty sure that you probably had some help along the way.
_____________________________________________________________
They say:
We are pregnant.

It means:
Literally in a few months there will be a baby in the house.

Internal mumbling:
Umm yeah she's the one who's pregnant, she is the one who is going to push that new little person from her good girl. I am not exactly sure how I'd prefer this to be said, especially since I have not been pregnant myself but what I know for sure is that I get a guttural reaction when I hear it out loud.

_____________________________________________________________

I say: Happy Thursday!

It means: Have a most lovely day and I hope that you smile and laugh today.

xo
Lacy

4 comments:

katy said...

I like this post.
A lot.

Regarding "We're pregnant:" I've always had a strange reaction to that too. Personally, I used "I'm pregnant," or "We're expecting a baby."

I notice that I often use "we" when giving my child a command. "We need to go put on our shoes," for example. I really mean he needs to put on his shoes, of course, but the "we" is there because I intend to be a part of the event and help in whatever way is necessary.

Tammie said...

Another good way to phrase it is, "We are going to be parents". Because in reality, she is going to have a baby, and she is the one who is pregnant. (Even the so-called 'pregnant man' is a chromosomal female no matter how much tinkering they do with the framework, not biologically a he.)

Kier's Serendipity said...

I hate the "we are pregnant one"--like, really, are you carrying the bowling ball under your shirt? Are you peeing every 5 minutes? All you did was provide some DNA, the rest is me!

c-rock said...

We don't like the "we're pregnant" phrase in our house as well. And I speak for both my hubby and I. We both always thought it was weird since it's the woman who does all the work. ;)