Wednesday, September 2, 2009

HPU Sea Warriors

We've yet to fully understand what a sea warrior is but by the looks of things it could be a shark which seems warrior-esque to me.

Day 1-
We survived, barely. It was a day full of travel, buses, shuttles, traffic, up the mountain to the dorms, down the mountain to the downtown campus, wheel that suitcase over here- no no I meant over there. It was one of those days. Too little water and food and plenty of stress is always a recipe for a meltdown or three. Luckily we all took turns. Now that's family!

Did you go away to college? Do you remember your first day? The endless questions and lack of information around every turn. College is change in the raw. It's gritty, dirty, the end of the world as we know it (as the song goes).

I am so glad that I am here to see Cody's new world. It is bringing back so many memories of when I went away to school and how I felt that first night in my dorm room. Oh my gosh, so many memories!

The dorm room is "authentic" as far as dorm rooms go.


Cody and his roommate Angel. He speaks Spanish, French and Italian. He is from Spain via Indianapolis !

Kayla,
We missed you big time when we were spending time with his family from Spain. They come in and out of Spanish when they are speaking to each other with such ease that I feel like they almost don't realize they are doing it. It would have made you 'homesick' for Alicante guaranteed. Angel's mom is called Mar and she had very good things to say about Aside (I have no idea how to spell that sorry)! You would have loved it.
Ok this was pretty much one of the best moments of true laughter all day. Cody was unpacking his school supplies courtesy of Mema when Angel pulls out this teeny tiny set of pens and pencils tied together with a rubber band. Cody said -- "Dude, I got you covered my Mema is the bomb. And look we even have a stapler!"

We attended the evening orientation mixer and it wasn't until I saw this sunset over the mountains (this will be Cody's daily view by the way) that I truly felt like I was in Hawaii!

Cliff,
I was sitting looking at this when I called you!
So at the end of day one he's in his dorm, knows how to get to the cafeteria and mail center and has 4 friends! This is collegiate progress people!

6 comments:

Mary said...

So glad I wasn't there to witness the meltodwns first hand. I think I've seen enough in this family (including my own) to truly feel as though I was there. LOL

I feel so much better knowing that he's already made 4 friends. I don't know why I expected anything different from Cody but I just imagined him "all alone" in Hawaii. LOL

I think a Sea Warrior is some type of Naval hero? Probably a very brave soldier of sorts...anyway..Go Sea Warriors!!!

Kier's Serendipity said...

I wish I was with you...cube-land is killing me here lately. An adventure to Hawaii sounds so incredible.

Cody--enjoy your college years...there is nothing like them.

katy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
katy said...

I can't imagine a prettier backdrop. Surely you learn more efficiently in a place of beauty?!

(Sorry - deleted the last one due to a glaring typo.)

Marizee said...

I am just dying laughing looking at all the pics and envisioning this crazy journey!! I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooo upset I didn't get to meet Angel's family. I need a little taste of Spain to get me through until my next big adventure.

Well have some sort of large Hawaiian alcoholic beverage for me and think of us all back home cheering on the Horns!

Yep, that's right. I'm getting visitors this weekend for the first football game! Mary, Uncle Kelly (hehe), Derrick and Jaymi. And of course Meemsi Weemsi is already here!

Tammie said...

What is Cody going to study? I am sure that if he is remotely like his big sisters, he will soon have mony more than 4 friends.