Wednesday, March 3, 2010

On Happiness...

I watched Roger Ebert and his wife Chaz on Oprah yesterday and it hasn't left me.

Two things keep swirling around in my heart... at one point Oprah was speaking to Chaz about her strength and bravery and unwillingness to let her husband die and said to her "you make me proud to spell my name WOMAN!" I immediately got chills from head to toe and my eyes welled up with tears. YES! YES is what I keep thinking. That is what we should do for each other.

The other was when Chaz read an excerpt from Roger's journal on happiness. As soon as she had finished reading it I wished I'd written it down (and if anyone did please leave a comment). The gist of it was that it is his desire to help people increase their happiness and that should be the goal of all people. It was so poignant and honest and again I thought YES! YES, that is exactly what I want to do, try to do and hope to always do.

Go out there and increase some happiness!

This guys work spreads some serious happiness! We see a little bit of it each morning in our kitchen!

Dreams 2 Re:member. Original Mix from Rodney White on Vimeo.



Love to you today!
Lacy

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow! That's powerful!
I have it on dvr but haven't watched it yet. I'll try to remember to write down what was said and send it to you.

Marizee said...

I heard part of his story on the readio today...snippits from the Oprah show. I immediately welled up with tears when they talked about his loss of voice and the voice things they have fashioned using thousands of hours of his shows. It made me think of you, Boston, the fear that you would come out of that surgery not talking...not the same loud lacy I have always known. It made me so thankful to be able to hear your sweet voice. Love you!

Mary said...

I was completely touched as well! How strong she is to not only care for him but speak for him on occasions too!

Marizee - beautiful comments! I love you guys so much!!!

Here you go sweetie:

"I believe that if, at the end of it all, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn't always know this, and I am happy that I lived long enough to find it out."