Friday, April 9, 2010

One day, no shoes.

Yesterday Toms Shoes did one day without shoes. We went one day without shoes too.








Most of the day we were home working so going without shoes was no sweat but once we emerged we got noticed. At first it was long stares and no questions but after about an hour of being in the world we started to get questions and shared the story of Tom's and why in the world we were out in polite society without shoes. It was so cool! My inner activist was so satisfied. I heard stories of middle school and high school kids working the system going without shoes on the their feet but satisfying the requirement of wearing shoes by putting them around their necks! Brilliant!

I stubbed my toe twice and it SO got my attention. I can't imagine truly not having shoes. I felt proud to be barefoot but I recognized that it was a novelty and with each seriously judgmental glance I took the opportunity to send a loving thought out to all those kiddos out there who go without and hope that my one day barefoot made a difference.



Every step you take matters in this life! Happy Friday!

Talk to you on Monday,
Much barefoot love!
Lacy

8 comments:

Chelsea said...

There were so many people around my school participating in the day with no shoes!

kelli said...

that's awesome! I love Toms and what they are about -I had no idea about the day without shoes thing. Very cool.
Also a good reminder about how simple it could be to teach our kids these things...maybe we'll have our own family day with no shoes:)

Jennifer Moiles said...

Ha ha, very cool. I hope you didn't stick to the floor at the movies last night! : )

KT said...

I know ignorance is never an excuse, but truly if I would've known I would've so done it. =( Maybe next year....I'll mark it in my calendar.
It's awesome that you and Cliff did it. =D

Tammie said...

I was barefoot all day too, but by my lonesome, and mostly at home being on the end of a migraine & not really feeling up to facing the world. I spend pretty much all summer without shoes, and the most hardship I endure from it, is if we get to a restaurant and I realize I have no shoes in the car, so then we have to go home so I can grab a pair. I am too oblivious to notice if people give me funny looks. I guess that also helps a lot when you have a child with autism.

Marizee said...

I saw a student at the B-school with no shoes on and literally just about vomited when I saw her go into our nasty bathrooms sans footwear. I had no idea that was why! Makes much more sense now. No one would go into that bathroom with barefeet, and I mean NO ONE. I have mad respect for this girl now.

rachel awes said...

lovely to find you & your blog.
love your fancy free being. x

Miss Anne said...

love to see your toesies! glad you participated! you're the only other blog i saw posting about this too! :)