Sunday, December 19, 2010

A note of thanks.


Thank you all so much for the sweet notes and thoughts about Cliff's dad.  He's lived a long and full life at 88 years old but it's still overwhelming to see the transition in progress.  No matter how prepared you say you are the reality of life and death (especially at this time of year) feels extra tough.  The strokes took most his right side and most of his speech but he still lights up when he sees Cliff and attempts a crooked smile when I try to make him laugh.  We totally get each others sense of humor.   

Cliff and his mom have started reminiscing and telling funny family stories from when Cliff and his older brother were little.  They are laughing and joking and remembering happy times but I can't help but cry because I see it all unfolding before me.

I took a photo of Cliff's dad while there (I keep calling him Cliff's dad b/c his name is Cliff too and I don't want it to get too confusing).  Cliffs mom was mortified that I'd take a photo of someone in the hospital but of course it didn't stop me.  I find the moment beautiful.    

Cliff is handling all of this with such strength and grace.  Once again a difficult situation is bringing us closer together and I'm seeing all the things I fell in love with shine through.  He is calm, capable and moves with purpose.  He's the guy who makes you feel safe by just being there.  He is thoughtful and considerate.  He patiently works to communicate in a way that his mother can understand.  He's losing his father and he keeps checking in on me to see how I'm doing with all of this.

So thank you.  Thank you all for your love and support.  I know it gets harder from here but I'm grateful to have a place to speak truth and receive love.

Lacy

12 comments:

Auntie Mary said...

What can I say other than I love you both so much!

Tammie said...

My thoughts, my prayers, my love, and my sympathies are with you both.

Quiet Violet said...

Such a sad and beautiful post, love. My heart is so happy that you have found such a good man in Cliff and I'm sure some of that has to do with how his Dad raised him. <3

One day at a time, my beautiful friend.

candice said...

trust me, tht picture will be cherished, and you did the right thing in taking it. it's a moment to remember- the look on his dad's face and the way that he is being surrounded while in bed by someone who loves him is beautiful. I love you-

mle jean said...

Blessings to you and your family. It sounds like what you and Cliff have is very beautiful and special. I hope you two are able to spend plenty of time with his Dad. Thank you for sharing! xo

Summer Says... said...

Praying for you all in the days that follow - may you all experience comfort, strength, peace and love in each other. love you

diane said...

sending you so much love and holding you very close in my heart.

Lauren said...

I teared up reading your post. It reminds me so much of things we've called reality in the last few years. I'll be thinking about you guys. These are hard times, but find strength in each other.
<3

Kelley said...

thinking of you and your family.

Kier's Serendipity said...

Thinking of you and Cliff and his whole family during this difficult time. Lots of love and hugs!

JenCoen said...

I think the photo (and the moment) is beautiful. My thoughts and prayers are definitely with you both.

E. Charlotte said...

You are such a strong woman, married to such a strong man. (Obviously raised by strong parents!) These situations and moments in life are not easy, but they do reveal the nitty gritty of our human selves. (Which is almost always quite beautiful.) I wish you all continued courage through this and much comfort. Thinking of you!